Saturday, February 7, 2015

For the H.P. Lovecraft Fans

Some time back, I began a series of tiles with relief sculptures of mythological creatures on them. Those remain in progress, but the whole idea - and a suggestion from a friend - got me thinking about expanding on the idea.

This is decidedly not Rowantrees, but the need to express myself artistically and i my very own style is deeply important to me. It's a body and soul thing. In fact, I often worked on ideas of my own while I was working at Rowantrees. Sheila encouraged that sort of exploration (on my own time, of course) and lent considerable support and advice in those efforts.

So this isn't all that far from the apple tree. It is, however, somewhat around the bend. I am a recent convert to the literature of H.P. Lovecraft although I have been familiar with it all of my life. Many of my friends are ardent fans and still others play role playing games based on the mythos he created. With that in mind, and with the Kickstarter campaign set to launch soon, I decided to offer something that Lovecraft fans might find interesting and fun.

Enter Cthulhu (if you dare). The best known of the Great Old Ones is the subject of Lovecraft's novella The Call of Cthulhu.

And he's a badass.

This is a plate intended for sushi, but anything that floats your boat would probably do fine. The sculpture is low profile so anything that can be set down and picked up discreetly will go nicely on it. Many may simply choose to put it on display and leave it at that. After all, the wrath of a creature like this won't be assuaged by piling food on it.

Or will it? You decide.
Cthulhu Plate

Cthulhu - work in progress
Cthulhu stares out from his home at R'Lyeh, awaiting the day when the stars align in the right manner to allow his underwater domain to rise out of the sea. He seems anxious for the day as he reaches out from beneath this vessel to snatch it away from you ad claim it for his own.

Because of the method I am using to make these plates, no two will be exactly alike. You can follow the progress of this project on my Lowell Hill Pottery Facebook page. I'll be posting more about it here as well.

These plates will be made in a limited, numbered edition. Other Cthulhu plates will no doubt surface in the future, but the design will not be the same. The projected price/Kickstarter contribution level will be $100.

No comments:

Post a Comment