Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Greetings!

You found me! And now it is time to let you in on what has been happening.

I told the story of my entry into the American Arts and Crafts heritage through my time at Rowantrees Pottery. Now it is time for me to take a new step.

While it remains open as a business, Rowantrees is not producing ware. In her speech at the book signing on July 31, Sheila Varnum announced that negotiations were underway with "a young man who used to work for me." to produce Rowantrees reproductions.

Well, that "young man" is me. I am 51 years old, but it never fails. Someone will always call you young no matter your age.

In his book Dune Frank Herbert noted that a beginning is a very delicate time. That is why information has to be carefully managed. That is why I have been so circumspect in my earlier posts.

We are at a beginning moment. While Rowantrees is not out of business, it is no longer producing ware. That is where I come in.

I have started a new business called Lowell Hill Pottery, named for the hill on which I live in Penobscot. Lowell Hill Pottery is currently in the process of negotiating to become the sole authorized maker of Rowantrees reproductions. That means that the beauty and grace of Rowantrees Pottery will again be available.

The time line is not definite as I am playing a few things by ear for the moment, but as things develop, I will keep you posted.

I know this much; I will not be in operation during the winter months. The building is very old and has no heating system. I am not able to put a heating system in at this point, and since little pottery is purchased while there is snow onthe ground, there is little point in producing it.

That does not mean that orders can not be taken! Please feel free to contact me through this blog or via my (albeit very young and rough) Lowell Hill Pottery web site. As products become available, they will show up there.

Here is hoping for a very bright future for Lowell Hill Pottery and those who have always loved Rowantrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment