Well, that went well.
The big move was held this past Saturday,
and if you're wondering why no daily dispatch for the last couple of
days, it's a combination of factors. For starters, it has taken this
long for my fingers to stop aching enough to type, and you can follow
that up with the sudden need to sleep most of the time.
I figured you'd forgive me the absence. Hope I was right.
any case, the big moving day went very well. Most of the pottery is now
in storage The only items remaining are some small tools and a fair
amount of cleanup work. A couple runs to the dump should take care of
Saturday started out a little weepy. The sky couldn't decide
whether to rain, fog or just clear out. It was well on its way to a
misty compromise when I pulled into the truck rental place and picked up
the 16 footer I had reserved. I waited there for my helper to arrive,
but didn't have to wait long. If you recall, I was in a bit of a panic
as I had found help a little hard to come by. Then the truck itself fell
out from underneath me. It was a time to try the soul, but in the end, I
found both a truck and a helper.
The helper came in the form of a
15 year-old named Hunter. His mom is a coworker of mine and she said he
would be more than happy for a days work at a decent wage. I had no
inclination to argue and accepted the offer. The two of us got into the
truck and away we went.
There were two other friends at the
pottery waiting to help load the truck, and we got it loaded in jig
time. We used up every square foot of that 16 foot truck. We first
loaded the bisque ware, followed by the finished products, then the
heavy equipment (wheel, kiln, pug mill and evaporating table - more on
that later), and finally the 2,300 pounds of clay. Sweaty and hoping
things would unload as easily, I started to climb into the truck when
Hunter asked what the stuff in the barn was.
Oh yeah. The packing and shipping supplies.
the back of the truck and start tossing stuff in again. There were
rolls (HUGE rolls) of bubble wrap and micro foam, boxes measuring
anywhere from 6 to 18 inches in all directions, tissue paper, and a box
of Tyvek suits (don't ask). Not all of it went into the truck, but I
took everything that wouldn't fit into my Toyota Corolla anyway. Then
off we lumbered.
Stop number one was my brother's house in Hermon.
This was where the clay will be stored. The clay can't be allowed to
freeze and I didn't have the resources to pay for heated storage. My
brother has a roomy garage at his home that is only half used and
remains above freezing all winter. Score! We got the clay unloaded and
stacked neatly on a pallet and then headed off for Ellsworth.
stopped at Dysart's in Hermon for lunch. Dysart's is a difficult place
to pass up if it's mealtime, you're hungry and you're passing right by.
Hunter and I had a great lunch and headed out again fueled and ready for
We got to the storage facility about 45 minutes later and
the unloading began again. We took off the heavy equipment and Hunter
started unloading the boxes of pottery while I put some shelving units
together. Those units snap together pretty easily and don't take long to
put up, but in the time it took me to do it, Hunter had unloaded almost
the entire truck. Three boxes still remained on board, and those came
off before I mentioned it. The two of us commiserated on the best way to
get things stashed most efficiently and then put it all into practice.
We had to adjust here and there, but in the end, everything fit.
only hitch in all this was the evaporating table. I had qualms about
bothering with it. It's a large wooden base that holds a larger plaster
"bowl." I would guess it weighs at least as much as a refrigerator.
Well, I decided to take it with me. Hunter and I tipped it up on end and
moved it with an appliance dolly (with no small amount of struggle)
only to discover that we could not put it back on all four legs without
snapping two of them off like twigs. So there it stands - on end and
wondering if it will ever be normal again And here I am wondering why I
didn't break it up with a sledge hammer and cart it to the dump. Plaster
is cheap, after all. I could always make another.
finished unloading and storing everything just as we lost daylight.
Hunter's mom called to see how we were doing and I told her she could
pick him up in about half an hour. We went back to the truck rental
place where I put the key in the return slot and locked up the truck.
Then I remembered my camera. It was still in the cab of the now locked truck.
I guess something had to go at least mildly wrong. Fear not, I have
since retrieved the camera. Not that I remembered to take many pictures,
of course. But here are a few before and after pics for your
Now it looks like this:
Now it looks like this:
is now this:
And so it goes, dear reader. This story is not yet over, and even
when it is, the next chapter will begin. Stay with me. The journey is
far from over.
Day 20 down, 5 to go.