Well, I guess you can call this progress. As promised, the kiln was unloaded and its contents finished and stocked. Mostly yellow mugs, but some green and one large Duckshead flaring bowl.
flaring bowl ended up in the seconds pile. I'll probably take that one
home for myself. There was a small glaze blowout on the inside that
makes it unsalable. Oh well. Most of the rest was just fine.
stacked the last kiln and set it to firing. Right about now it should be
finishing up with the preheat and getting on with business. It will
fire tomorrow and get unloaded on Sunday. Then the kiln will be
decommissioned until I find it a new home. **sigh**
After that was
done, I set to work packaging up the raw materials. It's another bucket
dance as I put dry powders into shiny new buckets to be transported to
storage. Some unopened bags will go into plastic bags, but there aren't
many of those.
And of course, everything has to be properly and
legally labeled. I have set about the task of getting that taken care
of. I have always been pretty meticulous about my material safety data
sheets, and I have a program of my own design that will print out labels
in OSHA-compliant format. What labels I don't already have will be done
and applied by Sunday afternoon.
Tomorrow is clay day. I will
spend as much time as I can recycling clay and packaging it up for
transport to heated storage. Lord, I'm going to have a lot of that by
the time I'm finished. that's a good thing because I won't need to buy
clay in for quite some time. It's an expense I don't need in the coming
year. For now, though, it's called sweat equity.
Day three down, 28 to go.